Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Why So Serious? No Smiling Faces in Pakistan =[

When I visited Pakistan in Winter of 2011, I did not realize that there was something I was subconsciously picking up on. In fact, it did not occur to me until I landed at San Francisco International Airport. Coming off the plane, at the end bridge (the thing that connects the gate to the plane) I saw a cheerful looking Asian man just smiling at me. Yes you read that right, smiling at me for no reason. Now I know it sounds creepy, but I was so happy, I beamed right back. Most of you probably thinks that this is no big deal; however, most of you have not visited a country where people make a habit of scowling. They seem to be offended if someone is smiling at them for no reason. Weird, right?

Coming back in September of 2012, I was aware that the Pakistani public is seriously lacking in smiles. For a while, I smiled around like an idiot. All it got me was the stink eye from many women, and dirty looks from the men. I was an anomaly to them. A girl wearing a hijab who smiled for no reason. The Pakistani impression of the hijab is usually a reserved and conservative, quiet girl or woman. Definitely not one who smiles for no reason. I am the furthest thing one could be from quiet and conservative. I like to think of myself as a modern-day Muslim who lives just as much in Deen (Faith) as in Duniya (World). At first it irked me, I wondered why they couldn't just get on with their lives and not stare me down. Then it occurred to me that I should be who I am and not care much for their looks and eyes.

All said and done, I now know that Pakistani do not have an established culture of smiling at strangers. Maybe that only exists in California. I still smile at all the strangers. Once in a while, I get a smile back. Though, I still rarely see anyone just randomly smiling. In the end, I have more California culture in me than Pakistani culture. If being completely Pakistani means I can't be cheerful, then I'm content being a Californian. Not to mention being a mystery always has a certain charm to it. 



Smiles from Islamabad city. Good night world. 
X0X0

1 comment:

  1. Everyplace has different cultures. A third grader knows this!

    ReplyDelete