Saturday, February 23, 2013

Dancing Horses and Rat Killing ... Eek

In the motherland (Pakistan), everyday is a day of firsts. I see something new everyday. Some things are more serious than others while others seem straight out of an American sitcom about South Asia. It is truly a place of building memories. 

Who knew there were such things as "dancing" horses? I saw a horse dancing to the beat of a dhol (a two-sided drum covered in cow hide and beat using to J shaped sticks) at a wedding. More like while I was spying on the neighbor's son's wedding from my rooftop. I knew weddings in Pakistan were a festive affair, but dancing horses are news to me. I'd heard of it from my parents; but what they say is true, seeing is believing. It was a truly magnificent sight; although now I wonder whether it would be considered animal cruelty (that is a whole other can of worms). Though I can try, I cannot fully explain the beauty of such a beast dancing with absolute grace. So for informative purposes, I'll share a video. Naturally the video wasn't made by me, because a spy with a video camera is not so much a spy at all. ;)



Okay so here is a clip that I got off YouTube. It's not recorded by me and I don't have any rights to this clip.

Most animal rights' activists probably cry when seeing such videos, and so before writing this blog post I did some research on "horse dancing" and discovered that the movements that the horses do with their feet is actually called a piaffe. It is a very natural action for the horse. The only training and/or "art" is getting the horse to do this on command. Now I cannot say whether these horses are beaten into doing what their trainers want. The horses that I saw and the horse in this video seem very healthy to me. But then again, I am not an expert. All in all, I am not speaking against or in favor of this practice. Just sharing a different culture with my readers. 



Moving on to the rat killing. Just a small blurb. Today I saw a rat being killed (well not saw more like heard), a completely hilarious adventure. My great-grandparents driver and my mother's maid spent an hour trying to kill the rat. It was hilarious to say the least.

On the topic of domestic help, it is very common for most middle class and upper middle class families in Pakistan to have domestic help or what they call "servants." However, that also is another can of worms and one I PROMISE to shed light on soon. 

Good night from Islamabad city.

X0X0

1 comment:

  1. Under age, uneducated, illitrate moron Poor lady, get some money and go to american circus, you will find more cruelty then this!!!! And its not a different culture, Come to IL, I will show you my horses dancing!

    ReplyDelete